Monday, February 20, 2012

'tis


(Disclaimer: This is not a book review but just a meaningless random rave about my experience with the book so far.)

After Angelas' Ashes, it's almost impossible not to be hooked to Frank McCourt's unique brand of storytelling. Since Saturday evening, 'Tis, the sequel to this Irish author's all too human memoir, has been my addiction, 275 pages of it so far. I had initially felt a tinge of guilt putting down Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 for a while, but now, having been incredibly absorbed in my second Frank McCourt, I know that the Vonnegut fan in me will understand if I finish the memoir first before the satire. The book was the perfect companion last Saturday while I was waiting for my turn for a tattoo session (which didn't happen as the artwork i wanted was too complex for the tattoo artist, and which is another story), and I probably looked like a dork what with my soundless laughter and shoulders shaking up and down all by myself with a book at a coffee shop. The whole Sunday afternoon saw me all glued to the couch with the book, eating, taking a bath, napping in between, and if I hadn't have to work in the evening I probably wouldn't have left the couch at all. And today, from the time I woke up until now, 15 minutes before I start teaching online, this book has alternately sent me to stitches, made me cry ("my mother used to say when we cried, Oh, your bladder must be near your eye") and recollect my own catholic school experiences (that seem very distant now), and oddly enough, dream about certain things again. And I'll be most certainly capping my day with a few more pages, then wake up with it the next morning, 'cause that's how 'tis when you fall in love with a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment